Vitamin D and polyneuropathy
The term polyneuropathy, PNP short, is an umbrella term which includes certain disorders of the peripheral nervous system. In most cases, the disease manifests in tingling, numbness and pain in the arms and legs.
In the literature about 600 causes of polyneuropathy have so far been described in Europe is one of diabetes mellitus (30 percent of those affected) the most common triggers.
Vitamin D deficiency - a risk factor for polyneuropathy
They found that the vitamin D status in the diabetic patients with polyneuropathy was significantly lower than in those subjects without polyneuropathy.
More than 80 percent of patients diagnosed with polyneuropathy and around 60 percent of the remaining diabetic patients had a vitamin D deficiency on.
Moreover, it was found that there was an improvement in the symptoms of the nervous disease by the administration of vitamin D supplements.
The scientists classified based on their study results Vitamin D deficiency as an independent risk factor for diabetic neuropathy a.
Case Report: Vitamin D relieves symptoms of polyneuropathy
In the case study was a 38-year-old patient in focus, who suffered from diabetes for 27 years and strong for 10 years neuropathic symptoms (pain, tingling hands and feet) showed.
Initially, the PNP symptoms were using traditional medicines, which are used to treat neuropathic pain, reduced (z. B. gabapentin).
Then the pain forced him but to abandon his work, and even the opioid oxycodone helped only slightly.
Regardless of the patient was treated due to a vitamin D deficiency with vitamin D supplementation.
And lo and behold: Suddenly the neuropathic symptoms within 2 weeks improved so noticeably that even the opioid could be discontinued.
Professor Bell came to the conclusion that a vitamin D supplementation could very positive impact if there is evidence of vitamin D deficiency in the disease process and also - unlike painkillers - prefer no damage.
While it is still unclear why improve by correcting the vitamin D levels the PNP symptoms, so it may be, for example, that by the pain threshold is "merely" raised.
In the laboratory, however, findings have already been won, which suggest that vitamin D may affect the nerve growth factor positive indeed.
Blank check in polyneuropathy vitamin D levels!
In polyneuropathy it is therefore - also as with any other illness - to be extremely important to determine the vitamin D levels and, this comprehensive fix for a defect.
Important information can be found here: Your vitamin D levels - What you need to know
Apart from the optimization of vitamin D levels, there are of course many other holistic measures that can help with a polyneuropathy. Details can be found here: Polyneuropathy - Causes and holistic measures
This naturally includes the right nutrition. In polyneuropathy a vegan and low-fat diet that have been shown in diabetic polyneuropathy led in particular to an improvement of pain is recommended. More information can be found here: Vegan Nutrition helps polyneuropathy
Your training as a holistic nutritionist?
Do you like the food concept of the center of health? Do you want to know in detail how you can create an all-round healthy diet for you and your family? Or you might want to give your career a new perspective and other people can advise on topics related to a holistic health? We recommend that the Academy of Naturopathy for training or retraining.
The Academy of Naturopathy makes people like you - a healthy diet and a healthy lifestyle love - in 12 to 18 months to technical consultant for holistic health in a distance learning from.
- Shehab D. et al, "Does Vitamin D deficiency play a role in peripheral neuropathy in diabetes Type 2?", Diabet Med, January 2012 (Plays vitamin D deficiency in peripheral neuropathy in type 2 diabetes play a role?) (Study as PDF)
- David SH Bell, "Reversal of the Symptoms of Diabetic Neuropathy through correction of vitamin D deficiency in a Type 1 Diabetic Patient" Case Reports in Endocrinology, 2012 (reversing the symptoms of diabetic neuropathy by correcting the vitamin D deficiency in a diabetic patient of type 1) (study in PDF)
- David SH Bell, "The role of vitamin D for obese patients in reversing the type 2 diabetes pandemic," Endocrine Today, August 2008, (The role of vitamin D in obese patients in reversing the diabetes pandemic of type 2) (website as PDF)
- Jan M. Keppel Hesselink, "Vitamin D and Chronic Pain", Instituut voor Neuropathic Pijn April 2013, (vitamin D and chronic pain) (website in PDF)
- Dr. Hans-Günter Kugler, ". Polyneuropathy and micronutrients - targeted approach necessary", ComEd, January 2010, (website in PDF)
- Sven Siebenand, "The Hormone of brawlers," Pharmaceutical newspaper, issue 06/2012 (website in PDF)